Pattern Stash Challenge

Well dear readers, yes I mean all 3 of you!!  You probably think I had given up on my Ready to Wear Fast, but au contraire mon ami's!  So in this blogpost I will show you my most current project and then in I will post another showing you what I have done since my last post in April!

The Pattern Review website is currently running a contest asking contestants to use patterns in their stash that they have had for at least 6 months or over.  No problem there!  Buying patterns is my specialty!  Not only do I buy new patterns, but I purchase them at estate sales and thrift stores as well as at an adorable store called the Knitten Kitten.  So from my stash I chose a vintage Simplicity Pattern that I bought at a thrift store, I can't actually remember how long ago, suffice it to say over 6 months ago.  I was attracted to the tailored but casual look of this simple dress from 1967!  I do believe I wore something like this to go to see Sonny and Cher when my now husband and I were dating.  I was also sporting blue patent leather shoes that killed my feet and a Carnaby hat.  As a side note, my dear friend Donna, knowing that I have been a long time Cher fan, surprised me for my birthday with tickets to Cher's concert here in Portland on June 30!!!  What great fun!  That woman can still put on a show and looks fantastic at age 68!

Vintage Simplicity 7473 circa 1967

Vintage Simplicity 7473 circa 1967

This pattern had been cut and created (I assume) by the original owner who had made adjustments in the height, taking out about 2 inches which ended up being exactly right for me!  She adjusted the pocket placement as well.  I still made a partial muslin, leaving off the sleeves.  Note to self, next time; make the sleeves.  The armhole and sleeve are curiously small.  I cut the size 12 and overall it fit with no further adjustments than what the previous owner had done.  Although the muslin seemed to allow enough ease in the bust, I could have made an adjustment here.  I will explain why in a minute!

The next interesting thing about using a vintage pattern (although I have to tell you, I have to swallow hard to realize that 1967 is vintage--yikes time flies!), is the assumption that you must have certain sewing skills.  For examples when it came to the buttonholes the instructions say, "make bound buttonholes".  That's it.  Errr, I have never made bound buttonholes, so out came the books, you tube videos and blogposts.  The best tutorial I found was by Sarai of Collette Patterns.  I successfully created bound buttonholes for the first time!  I placed the buttonholes as marked on the pattern, but they started almost an inch from the fold which made the bust area tighter than I had anticipated on the muslin.  Lesson learned, don't just jump into making buttonholes, make sure the placement is correct for you!

Bound buttonhole

Bound buttonhole

The fabric is a printed cotton from the Mill End Store here in Portland--I liked the vintage feel of the floral pattern, and overall I am really pleased with the results and I feel I really learned a lot in the process.  The next time I make it, I think I will use a solid that will show the details a little more and make a the few changes I mentioned above. 

More to come!