OK! I hope the second time is the charm. I successfully, posted a fractured facebook edition of this blog, and then deleted it altogether on my actual blog! Don't ask me how I managed this feat, but my guess is that I could probably duplicate it without even trying and successfully waste another perfectly good morning trying to navigate technology while reaching for the Advil!
So here goes, I will try to remember what tidbits of brilliance I was trying to impart the first time around.
As luck would have it when the snow started to fall this month, I actually had a pattern (Collette Albion Jacket & Coat), fabric from the Mill End and a start on a fitting muslin. It was like all the planets being in alignment! Usually I have only one of the aforementioned when an opportunity like this comes along. So, fortified with all the supplies I set to work with hours to sew instead of a few minutes here and there. I don't like to brag (well maybe I do a little bit), but I was able to finish most of the jacket, a Valentines Day dress for our adorable granddaughter, and 3 pillow covers for a client! In addition, I joined the Albion Jacket Sewalong, so I was able to follow along with the daily instructions. How great is that?
I want to tell you a little bit about the process of sewing the jacket. Since I have never really made a coat, I decided to do the unlined jacket version of this pattern. The fabric is a cotton plaid from Coach that I purchased at the Mill End Store in Portland for $14.99 a yard and I fabricated the seam binding to bind the inside seams from a solid pink cotton. Because I plan to wear the jacket in the spring, I wanted to make it unlined--and also because I didn't want to tax my sewing skills to much by adding the lining on the first attempt. Overall, I am really pleased with the result.
The pattern is actually designed and sized for men. I cut the size medium and I had to significantly take the shoulders in, so in retrospect, I would have cut the size small. But I made the adjustments on my fitting muslin and it worked out well.
Using a plaid made the cutting considerably more time consuming, but what the heck, I was stuck at home anyway, and I do love a plaid. In addition to the toggle closures, I added a separating zipper and I'm glad that I did. The zipper keeps the plaid securely lined up where using just the toggles which tend to be loose, it could sag a bit. Regarding the toggles, I looked at our local fabric stores as well as online and couldn't find exactly what I wanted. My husband offered to carve the button part from an apple tree branch. Brilliant idea! I had a scrap of green leather and then I purchased some leather strips at JoAnns fabrics, and viola, I was able to make my own toggle closures for a fraction of what they cost at the store.
Probably the most valuable thing from this long sewing stretch is the confidence I gained in finishing this project. So I thank Collette Patterns and our February Snow Storm for my success in finishing this project!